most adults are pretty good at recognizing (and avoiding) poison ivy, maybe some kids too. but kids are easily distracted. like when i was exploring a bushy niche and happened upon a wasp nest, got stung maybe twenty times, ran, tripped and fell into a thriving pocket of poison ivy. nice.
east coast/west coast differences make great cocktail party jokes (if you live west of the rockies). i've lived out west for over 25 years and my worst dog encounter resulted in a stinky hand. we don't have poison ivy in the great northwest, we have stinging nettles. if you happen to touch them it is quite unpleasant, sort of like brushing up against a electric fence and staying there. but the pain is short lived and there are no resulting wounds. "bad nettle! you stung me so now i'm throwing you in the wok." nettles are quite delicious once cooked. you prepare them like just about any braising green, add to soups/stews/stir fry's. just cook until wilted and then some more. try preparing/consuming poison ivy in this manner? suicide.
*if you're not already accomplished at harvesting nettles i recommend picking the succulent tops and leaving the older lower growth. the michael jackson one glove approach works well for me. scissors in the other hand.